Creating a Strategic Plan
A strategic plan provides the overarching, system-wide goals and strategies that should guide an organization for 3-5 years. To achieve organizational excellence, a strategic plan is the basis for aligned goals, which can be cascaded to all units and monitored through a scorecard process. Alignment of organizational priorities, goals, and actions is a key purpose of the strategic plan.
Define Priorities and Expectations
The strategic planning includes development of a shared vision for success. This vision is accomplished through intentional engagement of internal and external stakeholders and multiple feedback loops that achieve consensus across the broader organization.
The organization’s leaders are engaged first, to establish high level priorities and expectations for the strategic planning process. Core elements of the process are identified and leadership provides guidance on the scope of activities and desired sequencing. At a high level, strategic plan development occurs in three phases.
Creating a Strategic Plan in 3 Stages
- Define the scope: mission, vision, values, goals, and strategies
- Construct draft work plan with leadership and with feedback from the board
- Form Strategic Planning Advisory Committee to guide and frame the work and final plan
- Gather input on perceptions and priorities from stakeholders via focus groups, surveys, and an environmental scan using existing data.
- Analyze survey and focus group data and present findings to advisory committee
- Develop, refine or validate the mission, vision, and values / core beliefs
- Define the vision with measurable goals
- Select high level strategies for success in alignment with strategic goals
- Create a feedback loop with stakeholders to review and provide input into the final plan
- Review the stakeholder input with the advisory committee and revise the plan, as needed
- Support the presentation of the finalized plan to the board for approval and adoption
Strategic Planning process by month
- Define scope.
- Develop work plan.
- Hold initial board meeting.
- Form Strategic Plan Advisory Committee.
- Administer surveys.
- Hold focus groups.
- Select steering committee to analyze data and affirm/revise mission, vision, values.
- Develop draft strategic plan components with committee.
- Seek feedback on components of the plan from stakeholders via survey, forums, or other means.
- Revise draft plan based on feedback.
- Gain committee consensus on plan and prepare to present to the board.
- Presentation of finalized Strategic Plan to the Board for approval.
- Guidance/recommendations for implementation.